Excellent product0 Comment
Dec 10, 2019
great piece of kit, I really enjoyed using it (for the first few weeks)
But, whatever you do, DO NOT break it.
One of the fisheye lens shattered on mine, and to replace/repair, they want TWO HUNDRED POUNDS!!
Can understand a new company, not having any support infrastructure in place for such things, but I'm still disgusted.
Sep 07, 2019
I was looking at this camera for some time as was really interested in getting a VR180 camera but didn't think the Lenovo Mirage offered enough spec and was put off by the parallax issues of the Insta360 Evo. After the latest firmware was released I decided to finally purchase and haven't been disappointed! The 5.7k really makes a huge difference when outputting to a VR headset and the 3D makes a really immersive experience. Arguably the best value of the of the product comes from the Studio software that comes with the camera – the VR180 alignment tool makes it easy to check images have perfect disparity before rendering. I use this camera for work which means I need to make sure video is perfect for customer experience.
As mentioned I bought this mainly for 3D capture but have actually been surprisingly impressed with the 360 capabilities. The form factor is so great for switching between the two modes and my last 360 camera experience (Insta360 One) had really bad stitching in comparison to the Vuze XR. Again the 5.7k 30fps (Although it does have an option for 60fps at 4k) makes a big difference and ability to manage your entire workflow on your phone via the app is amazing! I actually saw several reviews describing the app as “half baked” but I think the recent updates must have improved it dramatically as I really like it. Stabilization is very good and the director's cut mode makes editing on the fly very easy. Overall love this camera and if you are interested in either 360 or 3D I would highly recommend you purchase – great job VUZE!
Jul 30, 2019
Bought alongside the waterproof carry case with the intention of taking it to the bottom of the sea as soon as possible!
SD card also required but everything else you need comes in the box.
Took for a test ride mounted on the back of my bike as soon as it arrived and very impressed with the performance and video quality.
The mobile app allowed me to control the camera settings and stop/start recordings without stopping to unmount it from the back of the bike.
Video recordings offer 360 degree 4k 60fps or 5.7k 30fps, something for everyone whether your preference is buttery smooth framerates of ultra high resolution.
A press of a button switches to 180 degree VR mode, recordings are immersive, albeit vomit inducing for someone not well versed in VR suddenly dropped into a virtual offroad bike ride.
The stitching is barely noticeable in 360 mode, only if you are really paying attention for it, and the image stabilization works extremely well - field tested on a bumpy mountain bike course.
The app has fairly extensive offerings in terms of editing and exporting the media but the desktop studio is where you will want to do the majority of the fine tuning.
Jul 29, 2019
My brother has this camera and the images he has produced convinced me to give it ago. I'm not much of a photographer but this camera is so easy to use because I can do it all on my smartphone!
The app is really easy to use (once you get the hang of it) and allows you to preview the shot and and act as a remote to take pictures/videos. I can just transfer them on to my phone and then edit them using the directors cut feature in the Vuze XR app. This is awesome and allows you to reframe the shot, add filters like Instagram and more. Once I have finished editing I can just render to my camera reel and then upload to social media. Easy!
I would also strongly recommend joining the "Vuzers" group on Facebook once you have / before you purchase - the group has helped me loads with tips, problems and techniques. I have come on leaps and bounds so my advice would be to buy it and get stuck in!
Looking forward to taking everything I have learned on my trip to Jersey this weekend. I'll definitely be buying the underwater case for my holiday in September!!
Jul 24, 2019
I've been an (amateur) traditional photographer for a long time but was interested to explore the possibilities that 360 capture and VR presented.
I went for the Vuze XR are because it offerd both these capabilities and wasn't disappointed!
The camera was really easy to use and I was really impressed with the supporting pc software which is free.
The Vuze studio automatically injects metadata for upload, enabling platforms such as Facebook and editing software to instantly detect it is a 360 degree photo allowing me to easily share my shots.
I was fortunate enough to take XR to Cape town where I created some amazing panoramic shots of tabletop mountain.
I was really impressed with the stitching and and the cameras ability to shoot in raw allowed me to create something special in post production.
My only disappointment with the XR was that I didn't take the new underwater case for the camera on my trip as would have been great to capture the sharks of Capetown!
Definitely my next purchase - highly recommend
Jul 22, 2019
It has stooped working after 31 days! & the 'returns window' has been closed!
What to do now?
Jun 01, 2019
When using the Vuze in 360 mode the video had stitching issues (you could see the join between the two lens). Vuze provide some options for customising the stitching in their app, but it was not possible to easily correct. I went with the Instra360 One X instead which didn't have the same visible stitching issues and had a faster end-to-end workload.0 Comment
May 22, 2019
My first Amazon review, but wanted to share a few tips to save other perhaps much research time.
This camera was bought with the sole purpose of watching back 3d 180 photos and videos via and Oculus Rift.
The results once steps below were taken were absolutely mind blowing, I have been waiting for a product such as this for 3 years and to finally have it and have it work as well as it does is mind blowing.
To do the above you will need, this assumes shooting in 180 3d.
1) Download Vuze software, all images and videos will need to be "Rendered" by the software and saved. You can edit some aspects of the videos, lighten etc. BUT no opportunity to crop or merge clips. So very basic.
2) But once you have your rendered files time to create folders on your PC in my pictures and videos under the name '360 Photos' and '360 Videos' drop the files into these folders. You will need to re-name the end of your videos files to _180.mp4 (or _360 etc).
3) You will need to download and but "Virtual Desktop" from steam store or Oculus store - I would recommend Oculus store.
4) When you open up this application top right will be the 360 tabs to view in VR and your images are there. Don't use folders within the main 360 folders as that can cause problems.
5) You will need to change the video or photo view setting - for photos to Dome 180, this in the pictures, in the tab bar just above the tiled photos displayed - this gives you the 3d - for vide its bottom left under tiled videos and you will need the side by side square icon to view 3d videos as 180 vs them duplicated in a messy 360 view.
5) The rendered photos can be edited as long as you broadly edit side by side photos the same using a third party photo app.
6) Videos once rendered can be edited, cropped (in length, not picture size really), and merged together etc. the trick then is exporting them in an .mp4 fie as .mov files won't work (but try just changing the file name manually to .mp4 as this worked - bit then no sound). Conversion tools to .mp4 compress so much that this isn't great given VR scale playback. You will also need to manually select image size 5760 x 2880 - all other setting sound etc will be typical - this 5760 x 2880 post vuze render process.
7) The other purchase was a "Fantaseal Action Camera Grip Mount, Handheld Stabilizer Selfie Stick w/Smartphone Clamp Mount Compatible for Gopro Sony Action Camera and More, Action Cam Handle Grip Micro Movie Shooting System" cheap but brilliant - This as I found when you held the camera my knuckles always appeared in the bottom of the shot - this grip kept your hand safely back out of shot and was more comfortable. Plus you could also then use the phone app as well.
8) Don't take photos with the camera pointing down, keep vertical or it will make you feel unwell looking back at them. It catches floor to ceiling so no need to tilt anyway.
9) Keep in pouch as very easy to scratch a lens.
10) Oculus video will play but not in 3d - 360 fine but really not as good as the virtual desktop app which is strange in my opinion.
Other than that I can't rate it high enough......the future and it is here today.....any family photo not taken in 3d vr will look silly 5 years from now! Like photos in an album do today, and a wasted opportunity. Hope this helps.
May 16, 2019
The electrically locked lenses would not release into the 3D position. Returned to Amazon and got a refund so I purchased an insta360 EVO which has machanical a release from Amazon and have had no problems. I see Kodak are releasing a 3D 180 / 360 camera and it has a mechanical release too.
I purchased 2 insta360 EVO cameras. One failed after a month and took 8 weeks for Insta to return it to me and it still wasn't working and they won't respond to me emails any more. If you by a camera like this for 3D 180, maybe you should superglue it in the mode. Thin cables don't like being bent though 180%
May 10, 2019